COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) Updates and Resources
Service Hours & Contacts
Winter Term building hours are:
- Mondays – Fridays: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturdays – Sundays: closed
The 24-Hour computer lab and expansion into HL 107 is open with limited seating.
Accessing the Building
Hamersly Library is open to WOU students, faculty, and staff, with limited occupancy. A WOU ID card is required for entry and exit. If you are without your card, the entry door sign has a QR code. Scan it with your mobile device to bring up your barcode.*
Face Coverings, Food & Drink Policies
Pursuant to Oregon’s and WOU’s relevant mandates for common indoor spaces, face coverings are required throughout Hamersly Library. The single exception is within the Video and Audio production studios.
While Oregon and WOU have a face coverings requirement in place, eating and drinking are not allowed in the library.
Entry and Directional flow
Building entry is on the west side, the Monmouth Ave. entrance. Keep to the right; the left-hand set of doors on that side are for exiting traffic. Scan your barcode as you enter the lobby area.*
The lobby and the stairs from 2nd to 3rd floor are marked with directional signage.
Spaces (what's open)
Study rooms and conference rooms not available at this time.
The Video and Audio Production studios are available by reservation only and limited to one user per day.
The Press is closed.
Tables have double-sided signs Clean / Please clean. When you are finished using a table, turn the sign to “Please clean” so that staff know to sanitize it for the next user.
Collections Access & Borrowing
Request materials through Primo: Staff will pull materials and either mail them or hold them for pickup at Hamersly, according to your request. Curbside pickup is available, or you can come to the Checkout Desk.
Self-retrieval of materials: All collections are open to patrons for browsing and self-retrieval if desired.
Do not reshelve materials If you handle an item and decide not to borrow it, leave it in one of the “Book Drop” bins placed throughout the building.
Equipment Computing equipment and accessories to support remote learning are available, as is general equipment such as cameras. Ask at the Checkout Desk, or over phone, chat, or email.
*Purpose and Privacy: Scanning allows us live occupancy counts for the building, and it provides an attendance record to help contact tracing efforts, if needed. Collected data is limited to V-number, date and timestamp. Its use is limited to contact tracing purposes, and it is stored in a secure file. Personally-identifiable data is purged after 30 days.
General Services & Current Status
- Access to digital resources
Databases, ebooks, online journals, campus network drives, and specialized programs.
- Librarian consultations
Each subject has a librarian with specialized knowledge of resources in that field. Email for help or request a chat appointment.
- Scan and Delivery access to print resources in the library*
- Lending of general equipment (such as DSLR cameras, camcorders, tripods, light therapy lamps, etc.) is resumed. Request it from the Checkout Desk or via chat, email or phone. Computing equipment, accessories, and hotspots that facilitate online coursework are described below with an online request form.
- Summit requests have resumed, but with deliveries to Hamersly Library two days per week. Expect slower service than pre-pandemic.
- Interlibrary Loan requests are resumed, both for hard-copy books and media and for digital copies of journal articles and book chapters. Expect slower service than pre-pandemic.
- Due dates are extended and overdue fines are waived during the pandemic.
- When you are ready to return items, request a WOU-paid shipping label.
We loan computing equipment needed to conduct coursework online. As with all other materials available from the library, there is no expense to borrow any of this equipment. The loan is for the full term.
Wi-Fi Hotspots: For 2020-21, students must be eligible for Pell Grant* or Tuition-Equity to borrow a hotspot, confirmed by WOU’s Office of Financial Aid. Students who live in WOU Housing are not eligible for hotspot borrowing. *Graduate students, who are not eligible for Pell Grants, must have an equivalent level of Expected Family Contribution (EFC).
Other equipment loans are not subject to confirming financial need.
Computing Equipment Request form
Can’t access the form? You must be logged into your WOU email to fill it out. If it still doesn’t work, use this link.
Please note that Chromebooks require nearly constant internet access.
Dell desktop PCs
In addition to the PC, a monitor, keyboard, mouse and cables are included. No wireless cards installed. These must be connected with ethernet cable (included). If you have a WiFi router at home, you can plug the ethernet cable into it.
Each includes keyboard, mouse, and cables. Wireless card installed. *iMacs cannot be mailed and must be borrowed and returned in person.
iPads and iPad Minis
While iPads are optimized in a wireless network, many apps work very well while not connected.
- Recent iPad Minis
iPads only; no peripherals.
- Older standard iPad models
These come with a keyboard. The iOS can no longer be updated on these and so some apps currently in the App Store are not compatible; however, testing typical Moodle content (on both the Moodle App and through the browser) showed no problems.
Headsets with microphone
- Library Instruction and Information Literacy for Online Courses
The library offers a variety of options to support online courses, including, but not limited to, research guides, tutorials, and Moodle integration. Contact your librarian. We’ll find out what you need and the determine the best option with the quickest turn-around time.
- Purchasing of eBooks and online resources
Need an online resource to help with remote delivery of course content? Use the purchase request form or contact your librarian.
- Streaming video via Films OnDemand, AVON, and Kanopy
- Digitization of materials you own for use in remote or online instruction*
Have hard copies of items that you need to have scanned for use in your course? We can do that. Please include a copy of the digitization form with your materials.
- Resources for creating your own digital/ multi-media projects/lessons
- New! Recreational ebooks and digital audiobooks now available March 24, 2021
- Important tips for researching with Google Scholar November 9, 2020
- WOU Faculty: get a stipend for creating an OER October 12, 2020
- Fall 2020 September 16, 2020
- Hamersly Library will be open to the WOU Community for Fall 2020 August 31, 2020
- Missing browsing the shelves? August 11, 2020
- Request items for delivery or pickup August 11, 2020
- Hamersly Library Memories Submission August 10, 2020
- Hamersly Library 20th Birthday Celebration August 10, 2020
- Making studying easier during remote learning April 28, 2020