Room Use Policies
We encourage students, faculty, and staff to take full advantage of the resources of the Hamersly Library, including the group study and meeting rooms. Below is a general Room Use Policy and modified policies for rooms 106, 107, 108 as well as for 301A
Priorities for reservations
- Instructional uses of library facilities have the highest priority; however, classes may not meet beyond four sessions per class per term. Please see the Exceptions section for more details.
- Meetings for Library and Media Services or for other campus units, organizations, or clubs
- Study groups
- Outside groups affiliated with Western Oregon University
- Community members and organizations
Students, faculty, and staff may make reservations for one-time only and short-term needs. Groups have a higher priority for group study rooms than individuals, except when individuals need access to the media equipment in the group study rooms.
Reservation requests must be made at least ONE day in advance.
- Individuals and groups may reserve rooms up to a total of 4 hours per day. Exceptions may be made for special events.
Reservations may only be made for the current term and may not exceed one term in length. (exceptions may be made for campus units and special meetings).
- Room reservations for individuals, groups, and student organizations/clubs are accepted beginning one week prior to the start of each term.
- Patrons can make reservations through the online calendar or by contacting the Information Desk at 503-838-8418. We print and post room reservations every morning, and outside of any reserved time, these rooms are free for walk-in use.
- During the last two weeks of each academic term (“Prep week” and Finals week), no outside groups or external agencies (non-WOU groups) will be allowed access to the conference or study rooms.
Repeated and Long-term Usage
- Groups requesting repeated and longer-term usage (for example, a study group that meets twice a week all term) may be asked occasionally to make their space available for other functions.
Cancellations & Loss of Reservation
- Please contact the Information Desk at 503-838-8418 or firstname.lastname@example.org to cancel your reservation if you will not be using the room. Reserved rooms that have not been claimed within 30 minutes of the beginning of the reservation will be released for others to use.
- Usage of all rooms is monitored by Library staff. If repeated or long-term reservations are going unused, the library will issue warning to or revoke that group’s reservation for the remainder of the term.
Food and drink
- Please refer to the food and drink policy. Catering is allowed in rooms 107, 205, 210 and 301A only.
Room Set Up
- Room set up and re-set is the responsibility of the group using the room. Extra tables and chairs are available upon request for alternate configurations for rooms HL 107.
HL 106, 107, 108, and the Mobile Laptop Cart
For Fall 2021
To facilitate scheduling of library instruction, requests for classrooms HL 106, 107, 108, and the Mobile Laptop Cart that fall within the peak times* listed below will not be accepted until week 5 of the term. Please fill out an instruction request form if you would like a librarian to provide information literacy instruction for your class.
*Peak Times are Monday-Wednesday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Thursday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m during weeks 1-7 of the term.
- Reservation requests for times after 8 p.m., dates beyond week 7 of the term, and during weekend or intersession hours are accepted at any time. Please send these request to email@example.com for approval.
- We do retain a waiting list of room requests that fall within peak times. At the beginning of week 5, the scheduling manager enters room requests into the system in the order they were received. Please send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please consider whether conference rooms 116 ,210, 205 or 301A (floor plans) suit your needs
Priorities for HL 106 & 108 computer labs:
- Other faculty use (up to four sessions per class per term)
- Open computer lab
Priorities for use of HL 107 classroom:
- Other faculty use (up to four sessions per class per term),
- Meetings, conferences and special presentations.
- Campus units, organizations, and club activities can be regularly scheduled after 8 p.m. and on weekends.
Straub Conference Room (301A)
Scheduling for 301A is under direction of the Office of the President and is primarily used for Board of Trustee activities and meetings. To inquire about scheduling this room, please contact LouAnn Vickers at (503) 838-8888.